Spectroscopy & Applied Organic Chemistry Notes
Topics in our Spectroscopy & Applied Organic Chemistry Notes PDF
In these “Spectroscopy & Applied Organic Chemistry Notes PDF”, you will study the various tools and techniques for identifying and characterizing the organic compounds through their interactions with electromagnetic radiation viz. UV-Visible, IR and NMR spectroscopy. This course also deals with some classes of organic compounds finding applications in everyday life namely; polymers, dyes, and pharmaceutical compounds. The chemistry of these compounds in general will be explained through naturally occurring and synthetic compounds.
The topics we will cover will be taken from the following list:
Organic Spectroscopy: General principles Introduction to absorption and emission spectroscopy. UV Spectroscopy: Types of electronic transitions, λmax, Chromophores and Auxochromes,Bathochromic and Hypsochromic shifts, Intensity of absorption; Application of WoodwardRules for calculation of λmax for the following systems: α,β-unsaturated aldehydes, ketones,carboxylic acids and esters; Conjugated dienes: alicyclic, homoannular and heteroannular;Extended conjugated systems (aldehydes, ketones and dienes);distinction between cis and trans isomers by UV. IR Spectroscopy: Fundamental and non-fundamental molecular vibrations; IR absorptionpositions of O, N and S containing functional groups; Effect of H-bonding, conjugation,resonance and ring size on IR absorptions; Fingerprint region and its significance; application of IR in functional group analysis. NMR Spectroscopy: Basic principles of Proton Magnetic Resonance, chemical shift and factors influencing it; Equivalent and non-equivalent protons, Spin – Spin coupling and coupling constant; Anisotropic effects in alkene, alkyne, aldehydes and aromatics, Interpretation of NMR spectra of simple compounds. Applications of IR, UV and NMR for identification of simple organic molecules.
Dyes: Classification, Colour and constitution; Mordant and Vat Dyes; Chemistry of dyeing. Synthesis and applications of Azo dyes – Methyl orange, Congo red; Triphenyl methane dyes-Malachite green, Rosaniline and Crystal violet; Phthalein Dyes – Phenolphthalein; Natural dyes –Structure elucidation and synthesis of Alizarin and Indigotin; Edible Dyes with examples.
Pharmaceutical Compounds: Classification, structure and therapeutic uses of antipyretics – Paracetamol (with synthesis);Analgesics Ibuprofen (with synthesis); Antimalarials – Chloroquine (with synthesis); Antitubercular drugs – Isoniazid. An elementary treatment of Antibiotics and detailed study of chloramphenicol, Medicinal values of curcumin (haldi), azadirachtin (neem), vitamin C and antacid (ranitidine).
Polymers: Introduction and classification including di-block, tri-block and amphiphilic polymers; weight average molecular weight, number average molecular weight, glass transition temperature (Tg) of polymers;Polymerisation reactions -Addition and condensation. Mechanism of cationic, anionic and free radical addition polymerization; Ziegler-Natta polymerisation of alkenes. Preparation and applications of plastics – thermosetting (phenol-formaldehyde, Polyurethanes) and thermosoftening (PVC, polythene); Fabrics – natural and synthetic (acrylic, polyamide, polyester). Rubbers – natural and synthetic, Buna-S, Chloroprene and Neoprene. Vulcanization – Polymer additives; Introduction to Biodegradable and conducting polymers with examples.
Download Abc Notes PDF
- Analytical Clinical Biochemistry Notes PDF
- Atomic Structure & Chemical Bonding Notes PDF
- Basic Analytical Chemistry Notes PDF
- Biomolecules Notes PDF
- Business Skills for Chemists Notes PDF
- Coordination Chemistry Notes PDF
- Conductance & Chemical Kinetics Notes PDF
- Chemical Thermodynamics and its Applications Notes PDF
- Chemical Technology & Society Notes PDF
- Cheminformatics Notes PDF
- Chemistry of Cosmetics & Perfumes Notes PDF
- Fuel Chemistry Notes PDF
- Green Methods in Chemistry Notes PDF
- Halogenated Hydrocarbons and Oxygen Containing Functional Groups Notes PDF
- Intellectual Property Rights Notes PDF
- IT Skills for Chemists Notes PDF
- Organic Chemistry Basics and Hydrocarbons Notes PDF
- Organometallic Chemistry & Bioinorganic Chemistry Notes PDF
- Pesticide Chemistry Notes PDF
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry Notes PDF
- Phase Equilibria and Electrochemical Cells Notes PDF
- Polynuclear Hydrocarbons, Heterocyclic Chemistry, Alkaloids and Terpenes Notes PDF
- Quantum Chemistry & Spectroscopy Notes PDF
- s-block and p-block Elements Notes PDF
- Spectroscopy & Applied Organic Chemistry Notes PDF
- States of Matter & Ionic Equilibrium Notes PDF