Statistical Mechanics Notes
Topics in our Statistical Mechanics Notes PDF
In these “Statistical Mechanics Notes PDF”, you will study the derivation of the macroscopic parameters (internal energy, pressure, specific heat etc.) of a physical system consisting of large number of particles (solid, liquid or gas) from knowledge of the underlying microscopic behavior of atoms and molecules that comprises it. The main objective of this course work is to introduce the techniques of Statistical Mechanics which has applications in various fields including Astrophysics, Semiconductors, Plasma Physics, Bio-Physics etc. and in many other directions.
The topics we will cover will be taken from the following list:
Classical Statistics: Macrostates and Microstates, Phase Space, Entropy and Thermodynamic Probability, Maxwell-Boltzmann Distribution Law, Partition Function, ThermodynamicFunctions of an Ideal Gas, Classical Entropy Expression, Gibbs Paradox, Sackur-Tetrode equation. Saha’s Ionization Formula. Law of Equipartition of Energy (with proof)– Applications to Specific Heat of gas and solids and its Limitations, Thermodynamic Functions of a Finite Level System, Negative Temperature.
Bose-Einstein Statistics: B-E Distribution law, Thermodynamic functions of a strongly degenerate Bose Gas, Bose Einstein condensation, properties of liquid He (qualitative description), Radiation as a photon gas and Thermodynamic functions of photon gas. Bose derivation of Planck’s law.
Fermi-Dirac Statistics: Fermi-Dirac Distribution Law, Thermodynamic functions of a Completely and strongly degenerate Fermi Gas, Fermi Energy Electron gas in a Metal, Specific Heat of Metals, Relativistic Fermi gas, White Dwarf Stars, Chandrasekhar Mass Limit.
Theory of Radiation: Properties of Thermal Radiation and Radiation Pressure. Blackbody Radiation and its spectral distribution. Kirchhoff law. Stefan-Boltzmann law and its Thermodynamic proof. Wien’s Displacement law. Wien’s Distribution Law. Rayleigh Jean’s Law. Ultraviolet Catastrophe. Planck’s Quantum Postulates. Planck’s Law of Blackbody Radiation Deduction of Wien’s Distribution Law, Rayleigh-Jeans Law, Stefan Boltzmann Law and Wien’s Displacement law from Planck’s law.
Download Abc Notes PDF
- Advanced Mathematical Physics Notes PDF
- Analog Systems and Applications Notes PDF
- Applied Dynamics Notes PDF
- Astronomy and Astrophysics Notes PDF
- Atmospheric Physics Notes PDF
- Biological Physics Notes PDF
- Classical Dynamics Notes PDF
- Communication System Notes PDF
- Digital Systems and Applications Notes PDF
- Digital Signal Processing Notes PDF
- Nano Materials and Applications Notes PDF
- Nuclear and Particle Physics Notes PDF
- Physics of Devices and Communication Notes PDF
- Physics of Earth Notes PDF
- Quantum Mechanics and Applications Notes PDF
- Solid State Physics Notes PDF
- Statistical Mechanics Notes PDF
- Thermal Physics Notes PDF
- Waves and Optics Notes PDF