Organometallic Chemistry & Bioinorganic Chemistry Notes
Topics in our Organometallic Chemistry & Bioinorganic Chemistry Notes PDF
In these “Organometallic Chemistry & Bioinorganic Chemistry Notes PDF”, you will study the basic principles of qualitative inorganic analysis. The influence of solubility products and the common ion effect on the separation of cations is made clear. Interfering anions are identified and their removal is studied. An introduction to the very important area of organometallic chemistry including classification of organometallic compounds, the concept of hapticity and the 18-electron rule governing the stability of a wide variety of organometallic species. Specific organometallic compounds are studied in detail to further understand the basic concepts: metal carbonyls, metal alkyls, Zeise’s salt and ferrocene. Importance of inorganic chemical species, especially metals, in biological systems, through discussions on metal-containing enzymes, the sodium-potassium pump and the applications of iron in physiology, including iron transport and storage system.
The topics we will cover will be taken from the following list:
Theoretical Principles in Qualitative Analysis (H2S Scheme): Basic principles involved in analysis of cations and anions. Solubility products, common ioneffect. Principles involved in separation of cations into groups and choice of group reagents.Interfering anions (fluoride, borate, oxalate and phosphate), need to remove them afterGroup II and methods of removal. Analysis of insoluble substances.
Organometallic Compounds: Definition and classification of organometallic compounds on the basis of bond type. Concept of hapticity of organic ligands. Metal carbonyls: 18 electron rule, electron count of mononuclear, polynuclear and substituted metal carbonyls of 3d series. General methods of preparation (direct combination, reductive carbonylation, thermal and photochemical decomposition) of mono and binuclear carbonyls of 3d series. Structures of mononuclear and binuclear carbonyls of Cr, Mn, Fe, Co and Ni using VBT. π-acceptor behaviour of CO (MO diagram of CO to be discussed), synergic effect and use of IR data to explain extent of back bonding. Zeise’s salt: Preparation and structure, evidences of synergic effect and comparison of synergic effect with that in carbonyls. Metal Alkyls: Important structural features of methyl lithium (tetramer) and trialkyl aluminium (dimer), concept of multicentre bonding in these compounds. Ferrocene: Preparation, physical properties and reactions (acetylation, alkylation, metallation, Mannich Condensation). Structure and aromaticity. Comparison of aromaticity and reactivity with that of benzene.
Bioinorganic Chemistry: Metal ions present in biological systems, classification of elements according to their action in biological system. Geochemical effect on the distribution of metals. Sodium / K-pump, carbonic anhydrase and carboxypeptidase. Excess and deficiency of some trace metals. Toxicity of metal ions (Hg, Pb, Cd and As), reasons for toxicity, Use of chelating agents in medicine, Cisplatin as an anti-cancer drug. Iron and its application in bio-systems, Haemoglobin, Myoglobin; Storage and transfer of iron.
Catalysis by Organometallic Compounds: General principles of catalysis, properties of catalysts, homogeneous and heterogeneous catalysis (catalytic steps, examples and industrial applications), deactivation and regeneration of catalysts, catalytic poison, promoter.
Study of the following industrial processes and their mechanism:
- Alkene hydrogenation (Wilkinson’s Catalyst)
- Synthetic gasoline (Fischer Tropsch reaction)
- Polymerisation of ethene using Ziegler-Natta catalyst
Download Abc Notes PDF
- Analytical Clinical Biochemistry Notes PDF
- Atomic Structure & Chemical Bonding Notes PDF
- Basic Analytical Chemistry Notes PDF
- Biomolecules Notes PDF
- Business Skills for Chemists Notes PDF
- Coordination Chemistry Notes PDF
- Conductance & Chemical Kinetics Notes PDF
- Chemical Thermodynamics and its Applications Notes PDF
- Chemical Technology & Society Notes PDF
- Cheminformatics Notes PDF
- Chemistry of Cosmetics & Perfumes Notes PDF
- Fuel Chemistry Notes PDF
- Green Methods in Chemistry Notes PDF
- Halogenated Hydrocarbons and Oxygen Containing Functional Groups Notes PDF
- Intellectual Property Rights Notes PDF
- IT Skills for Chemists Notes PDF
- Organic Chemistry Basics and Hydrocarbons Notes PDF
- Organometallic Chemistry & Bioinorganic Chemistry Notes PDF
- Pesticide Chemistry Notes PDF
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry Notes PDF
- Phase Equilibria and Electrochemical Cells Notes PDF
- Polynuclear Hydrocarbons, Heterocyclic Chemistry, Alkaloids and Terpenes Notes PDF
- Quantum Chemistry & Spectroscopy Notes PDF
- s-block and p-block Elements Notes PDF
- Spectroscopy & Applied Organic Chemistry Notes PDF
- States of Matter & Ionic Equilibrium Notes PDF