Coordination Chemistry Notes
Topics in our Coordination Chemistry Notes PDF
In these “Coordination Chemistry Notes PDF”, you will study the coordination compounds which find manifold applications in diverse areas like qualitative and quantitative analysis, metallurgy, as catalysts in industrial processes as medicines, paints and pigments as well as in life. The student is also familiarized with the d and f block elements and get an idea about horizontal similarity in a period in addition to vertical similarity in a group.
The topics we will cover will be taken from the following list:
Coordination Chemistry: Recapitulation of Werner’s Coordination theory IUPAC nomenclature of coordination compounds, isomerism in coordination compounds. with coordination numbers 4 and 6. A brief idea about chelate effect and labile and inert complexes. Valence bond theory and its application to complexes of coordination numbers 4 and 6. Examples of inner and outer orbital complexes. Crystal field theory, measurement of ∆o. Calculation of CFSE in weak and strong fields, concept of pairing energies, factors affecting the magnitude of ∆o. Octahedral vs. tetrahedral coordination, tetragonal distortions from octahedral geometry Jahn-Teller theorem, square planar geometry. Qualitative aspect of Ligand field and MO Theory (for octahedral σ-donor, π- acceptor and π- donor complexes).
Transition Elements: General group trends with special reference to electronic configuration, colour, variable valency, magnetic properties (no temperature dependence), catalytic properties, and ability to form complexes. Latimer diagrams of Mn, Fe and Cu in acidic and basic media A brief discussion of differences between the first, second and third transition series. Some important compounds of Cr, Mn, Fe and Co and their roles as laboratory reagents; Potassium dichromate, potassium permanganate, potassium ferrocyanide, potassium ferricyanide, sodium nitroprusside and sodium cobaltinitrite.
Lanthanoids and Actinoids: A brief discussion of electronic configuration, oxidation states, colour, spectral and magnetic properties. Lanthanoid contraction (causes and effects) separation of lanthanoids by ion exchange method.
Inorganic Reaction Mechanism: Introduction to inorganic reaction mechanisms. Concept of reaction pathways, transition state, intermediate and activated complex.Substitution reactions in square planarcomplexes, Trans- effect, theories of trans-effect. Thermodynamic and Kinetic stability (using VBT).
Download Abc Notes PDF
- Analytical Clinical Biochemistry Notes PDF
- Atomic Structure & Chemical Bonding Notes PDF
- Basic Analytical Chemistry Notes PDF
- Biomolecules Notes PDF
- Business Skills for Chemists Notes PDF
- Coordination Chemistry Notes PDF
- Conductance & Chemical Kinetics Notes PDF
- Chemical Thermodynamics and its Applications Notes PDF
- Chemical Technology & Society Notes PDF
- Cheminformatics Notes PDF
- Chemistry of Cosmetics & Perfumes Notes PDF
- Fuel Chemistry Notes PDF
- Green Methods in Chemistry Notes PDF
- Halogenated Hydrocarbons and Oxygen Containing Functional Groups Notes PDF
- Intellectual Property Rights Notes PDF
- IT Skills for Chemists Notes PDF
- Organic Chemistry Basics and Hydrocarbons Notes PDF
- Organometallic Chemistry & Bioinorganic Chemistry Notes PDF
- Pesticide Chemistry Notes PDF
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry Notes PDF
- Phase Equilibria and Electrochemical Cells Notes PDF
- Polynuclear Hydrocarbons, Heterocyclic Chemistry, Alkaloids and Terpenes Notes PDF
- Quantum Chemistry & Spectroscopy Notes PDF
- s-block and p-block Elements Notes PDF
- Spectroscopy & Applied Organic Chemistry Notes PDF
- States of Matter & Ionic Equilibrium Notes PDF